Ok, so I am back in my childhood home. I’m 38, have two children, a partner, a dog and a cat. I’ve moved home with my parents for two weeks before we move into a new house.
Of course we have been back here to stay on the odd weekends and holidays, but this time its like ‘real life’ for two weeks. There are lots of pro’s and con’s to this;
- We get on really well. As with all parents, they have their annoying traits, but on the whole we actually get on well.
- FREE FOOD! and more importantly, this hiatus at home has coincided with my mum’s retirement, which means I have kinda gained a housewife for a couple of weeks!
- Great laundry service – no sooner does it hit the laundry bin, then its whisked off for a hot date with the hotpoint.
- Dog sitting/child sitting on tap!
- Space… its a lovely house with space for us all, we can all be on our own if we want!
- Brownie points – a great earner. a) they love us being here as we ‘want to be’. b) by pitching in and helping out in small ways it’s appreciated and brownie points abound!
- Having to talk a lot more! Parents do love a lot of conversation at the breakfast table huh?
- It’s a 25 mile trip to work…
- The presents that we will buy to thank them!
- Listening to my dad’s thumping music/tv until the early hours (I always forget how loud he is)
- The heat! My parents house is always so bladdy hot – it’s like being in the med, sleeping with only a sheet
- Having to report in what time we will be home for dinner
- Having to keep up with my ironing – mum doesn’t like it to ‘gather dust’ (i.e. it’s been dry an hour)
I make fun of it, and it’s a great help and really not bad at all… although if it was for any longer…. they do seem to have a negative influence on my spending, eating and drinking habits… i.e. they encourage all three!
Still it’s only til Friday – by that time, I may have a different report to make…